Sunday, March 30, 2014

Welcome to the Domestic Goddess Workshop!
Ok so what is the difference between a Domestic Goddess and a home maker? If someone says they want Chocolate Chip cookies and you jump up to make some you're a homemaker (and probably a damn good one). If someone says they want chocolate chip cookies and you stay up all night researching the origins of the chocolate chip cookie, where the best chocolate comes from, testing four different recipes, deciding on the best one and not only filling the (hand painted) cookie jar but freezing 8 dozen little measured cookie dough rounds in case someone wants more, you are a Domestic Goddess.
 
The domestic Goddess feels no fear or loathing when faced with Monday morning's pile of dirty laundry, she tackles it, rejoicing in the fresh scent of her homemade laundry soap, snuggling into the warm fragrant piles she pulls from the dryer, experiencing chills at the sight of freshly pressed rows of shirts on hangers, or neat piles of towels and jeans.
 
In other words a Domestic Goddess loves what she does. Though the DG does not earn a paycheck, very few people could afford to pay her for the multitude of rolls she fills. We have all heard the list: Chef, laundress, nurse, maid, chauffer, personal shopper, coach, and blah blah blah, it goes on and on. A home maker may fill these roles with great skill and even pride but the DG, well, she loves it doesn't she. DG goes to bed at night with a wistful little smile thinking of what she accomplished that day and better yet, what she will accomplish tomorrow.
 
I've wanted to start this blog for a while now. I toss the idea around and think of what I will write but the reason you are finally seeing my zippy cool text is that my Husband inadvertently tossed me a challenge a few weeks ago, not knowing he was changing my life. He simply said "Why don't you see how many things we need you can make yourself?" His point was to save money, but it struck a chord in me. Why not. Every time we need something why not see if I can make it myself. Or at least see if I can find it cheaper.
 
Being a DG is not necessarily enough to write about and might actually make me look conceded instead of merely confident, but BECOMING a DG....that might be fun to write about. Not only all the things that I have learned about in the last 18 years of marriage but the new things I'm discovering in an effort to meet that mans unintentional challenge.
 
There are many levels of DG. Even if only one of the categories I write about interests you, you are still a DG, just maybe not a full service DG. Take what you love about caring for your family and rock it everyday.
 
So, welcome to the Domestic Goddess Workshop where you will find recipes, household tips, crafts, advice only if you ask for it (try getting that from your mother-in-law), and whatever else I think you might find interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment